Sunday, March 29, 2015

Boxwood Wreath

I love the pop of green that boxwood adds to both an interior space and a porch or garden.

Target stores are closing here in Canada after only two years. The prices are quite a bit higher than US stores but with 40% off all remaining merchandise I was able to get this small Smith and Hawken preserved boxwood wreath that I had been admiring. Regular price was $29.99 (they were sold out of the $49.99 larger ones.)

I am enjoying it in on the black hutch in our dining room right now. 

The pop of green inspired me to find things we already own to create a simple Spring tablescape that I will share next week. This is my first post using the Blogger app and cell phone photos.

Hoping you are enjoying this last weekend of March. Our oldest son celebrates his 18th birthday today. Where does the time go!?

Friday, March 20, 2015

Three Drawer Dresser Painted General Finishes Lamp Black

Today I am sharing the second dresser that I painted with General Finishes Lamp Black Milk Paint.

GF Lamp Black is such a pretty black and a really easy product to use. It only took two coats for complete coverage and the paint goes on smooth and levels really well. Later I will share the three large pieces that I painted with one can. I tried to get the GF Top Coat but after a 45 minute drive each way, the supplier I normally buy from was out of Top Coat and Lamp Black. Lesson to self: call ahead! I was disappointed but ended up using Varathane poly in satin.

This three drawer pine dresser was part of my original bedroom set that I bought when I was 19. It is a well built solid wood piece with dovetail drawers. 

Eventually the dresser ended up in our oldest son's room (keeping it real with the cattle brochures and junk on top before he changed bedrooms.) The finish was well worn with lots of knicks and scratches so I didn't feel bad painting the wood finish.

Our previous night stands in our bedroom were too short for our high bed so I am using this small dresser as a night table. I am really enjoying it's new look and all the extra storage space. I chose not to distress it at this time but I will probably change out the porcelain knobs.

I still have the double cannonball bed and a night table that are part of this set and they will be going in our guest room after I paint. If I end up finding a matched set with the right dimensions, this dresser will return to the guest room. We had a 3 way room switch recently (oldest son to basement bedroom, youngest son to oldest son's room, and guest bedroom from basement to youngest son's room. Confused lol?) 

I shared the other dresser I painted GF Lamp Black for our room. Yesterday I patched the walls and I will be painting soon. I was going to make a white denim slipcover for the headboard but now I am considering making a wood headboard. Baby steps, and we really need new flooring, but it is coming along.

Linking up to the following parties...

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

New Lamps for Our Master Bedroom

I am beginning some updates to our master bedroom and recently picked up new lamps for either side of our bed.

Glass lamps have been on my list and I found a pair recently in Target (all Targets are closing down in Canada.) These are fillable but I may just leave them as they are. The wall behind the bed will soon be Revere Pewter and the leather headboard will be getting a slipcover.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Lamp Black Dresser For Our Master Bedroom

I have been working on defining my design style and, keeping our tight budget in mind, I am slowly updating things to better reflect that style. Black painted rustic furniture has always appealed to me and is exactly the look I wanted for our bedroom dresser.

I used General Finishes Milk Paint in Lamp Black. I plan to paint the walls white and eventually we will replace the worn carpeting.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Our Winter Living Room

 Our winter living room feels so fresh and cozy now that the holiday decor has been packed away.

White and wood is the foundation of my lakehouse/farmhouse decorating style. I am learning that I am happiest with a room when I start with white and wood and then I can add in other colours and textures. I love the fresh white of our living room walls (that really help with overcast days and early darkness), slipcovers, and white painted tables mixed with the wood tones in the flooring, dresser and vintage skis. I use black, grey, brown and off white in accessories and natural elements. Mercury glass adds a touch of sparkle.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Best Projects of 2014

Another year is almost over and I am making plans for what I want to complete in 2015. Looking back on my favourite completed projects from the year ending always inspires me. Today I will be sharing what I consider my best projects of 2014.

This year, more than any other, I find that I am finally narrowing in on what I want our home to look and feel like (on our tight diy budget of course.) Painting and selling some furniture has allowed me to buy a few new pieces as well. I'll keep the explanations to a minimum but you can click on any of the headings to see a related post with more details.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas!

Just finishing up some last minute dinner prep today as we are hosting Christmas dinner for lots of family on Christmas Day. Tonight we are headed to my sister's home here in our neighbourhood for a family get together. 

Wishing you all a great holiday and a very Merry Christmas! Thank you for visiting throughout the year and for your friendship.