Today I am sharing DIY, painted and handcrafted projects I completed in 2012. They range from whole room paint makeovers to painted furniture and hand stitched items.
It is a long post, with lots of photos and a link to each project, but it has been fun reflecting on all the things I accomplished this year in my world of too many unfinished projects. Sort of inspires me to keep at it.
First up is this frame with an ag'R'icultural feel was made by painting a yard sale frame white and having our oldest son add some of his rabbit wire to the back to hang our family initial.
The Feed and Seed sign was painted to be part of our living room gallery wall with an agricultural feel. I painted and sold a few chalkboards using old frames and sometimes painting right over the glass on outdated prints. I still have a few to finish that I plan to keep. Our 15 year old son made this Fresh Milk/Mountainview Dairy crate with castors at my request, and I stained it and added the lettering to each end. We stash rolled throws and quilts in it for easy access.
The cute little desk with glass knobs was originally maple and I painted it with homemade chalk paint.. It was in our guest bedroom but I got an offer I couldn't refuse and sold it. The charcoal desk started out as a curb side find and I painted it and sold it. We had this barley twist table for awhile, a furniture store tent sale item, and I painted it grey with some stain in the crevices and light distressing. It hasn't sold yet so I am re-listing it in the New Year. The English chestnut and turquoise pine drop leaf table started out as a $10 yard sale purchase. It also sold.
Another $10 kijiji find, the dresser started out maple and I painted it Martha Stewart Aegean Blue and added new pulls. It is currently in our basement guest bedroom. It is listed on kijiji and has not sold yet. The arch top oak mirror, another yard sale find, was painted white and now helps reflect light into our ensuite bathroom over the soaker tub. Not all paint projects need to take tons of time. This little wood tote was originally a thrift store hunter green before I painted it Martha Stewart grey.
I made a few pillow slips this year, including a white denim pillow with crocheted trims and buttons, a muslin pillow with a torn and ruffled detail and a Christmas Trees pillow using drop cloth fabric and quilting cottons in shades of white.
I didn't start the simple vehicles quilt for our 13 year old this year, but I did complete it. Nice and cozy and long for our almost 6 foot youngest son. The watermelon pin cushion started as a kit and I sewed and quilted it, adding the detail stitching, for my hobby room. For our 4-H friends' grand daughter I sewed the little John Deere pink and roses chef's apron and made an adult size at their request but forgot to take a photo before I delivered it.
Using leftover plaid flannels from a matching throw I sewed a few years ago I made a plaid flannel pillow and a plaid flannel bunting for Fall decorating in our living room.
The grout refresh project in our entry and half bath wasn't a fun project but I loved the results and it still looks the same. Now I have to get started on the kitchen tile.
For the basement guest room, I painted this pine paned mirror similar to a Pottery Barn one.
I crocheted and knitted this lined tote bag and hope to get it listed in my etsy shop, Rustic Maple, in the New Year. I also crocheted, and sold, this lovely chevron afghan.
Mercury Glass by Ben Moore is the colour of white I chose to paint this Windsor chair (that I bought for 3/$10.) The other two still need to be painted but I love having extra chairs to use in different rooms and when we have guests.
A turquoise and red distressed Christmas Tree Farm sign that I used in our kitchen for Christmas.
This pair of denim and linen Christmas stockings was sewn using outgrown jean fabric and leftover linen tea toweling from my dining room table runner.
I painted a pair of shutters I bought a few years ago at a yard sale, one Aegean Blue for the guest bedroom and the other a grey for our bedroom (shown in the stocking photo above but not hung yet.)
I struggled with finding the right colour for this solid pine sideboard but ended up painting it white and selling it. I was going to keep it for our dining room but didn't have the heart to strip the top paint colours-gone-wrong off. The lesson
A peg shelf with 80's wallpaper border was stripped of the teddy bears and painted black for our basement TV room.
Painting my sister and bil's kitchen and butler's pantry and touching up their hallway was a big project in March. She has a few more rooms lined up for me this year. I also spent a week this summer, with the help of one of my teen nieces', painting a colleague's kitchen, large guest room and guest bathroom.
The only whole room paint project at our home this year was our basement guest bedroom that I painted early in the year. Not the easiest room to photograph accurately but the paint colour is Benjamin Moore Cotton Ball. I still have lots to do there, and in the rest of our home, but I sure love the new look.
It would be awesome to have more time to work on projects, and a bigger budget ;), but I am happy with the things I accomplished. This coming year I need to get some bigger trim and maintenance projects completed as well as adding some more little projects to help make our home feel more like 'us'.
I hope you enjoyed your Christmas. We had a great one with lots of family and food.
I am looking forward to linking up to the following parties, and hoping to get lots of inspiration by visiting the other party goers....
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Fabulously Creative Friday Link Party at Jennifer Rizzo
Top DIY Projects of 2012 at Southern Hospitality
Budget Decorating Ideas at Creative Cain Cabin
Home Sweet Home #100 at The Charm of Home
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage