Simple and inexpensive changes can really update a piece.
This cross-stitched scene of cows in a field has always been a favourite of mine but was neglected to a spot behind the TV because of the dated frame and mat. A few coats of crisp black spray paint updated the green and gold frame.
I used BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Exterior Satin Enamel to change the green mat to a crisp white (I had the paint out to work on a little bench.) I just used thin coats and it covered well. A no cost update as we already had both paints.
This stitching is now hanging in our family room above the fireplace. It is a nice 16" x 20" overall. We still have plans to add trim to spruce up the fireplace/TV wall but I'm really enjoying having this here. I think it adds a nice touch to the farmhouse/lakeside feel we are going for.
I have been happy with only one half of our family room for the last while. I'll make a few changes here and there but it is comfortable and working.
But the other side of the room is more of a challenge because of an off center fireplace, lack of mantel and huge older TV. We got rid of the dated TV/stereo stand and added our antique sideboard with future plans of a flat screen TV. I love wood tones so I don't think we will be painting this piece. Maybe stripping off the finish. I was still frustrated and I didn't even finish the paint in the TV nook (still yellow.) And there's a peek of the stitching hiding behind the TV.
Then I read Donna at Funky Junk Interior's post 'Gitter Done!'. I know it is summer and we are super busy with family things but I realized that I have been spending too much time blog surfing and not enough time on projects here. I decided then that one project at a time was better than being frustrated. Donna encouraged us to:
"1. Make a goal. It can be anything YOU need/want to get done - big or small, DIY or not DIY related.
2. Take a before and after pic. No need to make it a huge production unless that's what you wish to do. Simple is good too! Remember, you have stuff to do! :)"
I bought the linen tablecloths and made curtains to tie all the windows together. I sold the antique secretary that just didn't hold enough and that I had trouble finding a spot for.
Then I sat down and stared at the TV wall to pick one thing I could do to improve that area. The cow stitching was the project I chose. I'm really glad I did! Thanks Donna, for the encouragement to walk away from all the eye candy on the computer and 'Gitter Done'. It is easy to get caught up in other's projects and neglect a few simple ones of our own. I hope to get more done soon. Stop by Funky Junk Interiors Gitter Done Volume 3 or Funky Junk's SNS #52 Frames special, to see what everyone else is up to.